What is the WIC program and who is eligible?

This is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. The program offers nutrition assistance and support to pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants and children. To receive assistance there are certain requirements you must meet when you apply or reapply each year. 

The WIC program serves the following:


  • Pregnant (during pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after the birth of an infant or the end of the pregnancy)

  • Postpartum (up to six months after the birth of the infant or the end of the pregnancy)

  • Breastfeeding (up to the infant’s first birthday)


  • Up to the infant’s first birthday


  • Up to the child’s fifth birthday

You must live in Kentucky and within the counties that the Pennyrile District Health Department serves (Trigg, Caldwell, Crittenden, Livingston, Lyon Counties). If you are not within one of our counties, please call your local health department. You do not have to live in the area for a certain amount of time before you can apply for the WIC program. If you moved, please bring your WIC card from your past residence with you. 

Also, there are certain financial requirements you must meet as well. You can find the complete list of conditions (through May 2020) here

Why sign up for WIC?

You get the support you need, both financially and physically. This gives you a glimpse into what the program offers you and your child:

  • Nutrition and health care needs assessment
  • Nutrition Information and education
  • Vouchers to buy healthy food for you and your children including:
    • Milk and cheese
    • Infant formula
    • Vitamin C-rich juices
    • Iron-rich cereals
    • Eggs
    • Dried Beans or Peanut Butter
  • Referrals to doctors, dentists and programs like food stamps (SNAP), Healthy Start and Head Start
  • Breastfeeding support
  • Immunization referrals
  • Child care/parenting information and education
  • Shopping tips, recipes and advice on feeding your child

Though it’s not a requirement, we always recommend our local parents sign up for the HANDS program. Especially if you discover that you’re not eligible for WIC.

Every new Kentucky parent is eligible to join HANDS.

This is a free visitation program where you can seek guidance, ask questions and learn more about your child’s development and health, right in your own home. Learn more about it here or ask us when you call! 

How do you sign up for the WIC program?

First, call and make an appointment. At that time we will assess your qualifications and do a nutrition risk assessment at no cost to you. This information may also be obtained from your physician. Once this assessment is complete you will find out that day if you qualify. Most days we can add you to the system with benefits starting on the same day. 

We encourage you to call and talk with our staff, even if you aren’t sure you qualify for the program. There are many ways we can assist you as you navigate your pregnancy and begin raising your child. We offer well visits for your child, you can receive dietary advice for your family and you can sign up for our HANDS program which is open to all parents in the Pennyrile District.

See If You’re Eligible for WIC

WIC Non-discrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. 

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. 

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by: 

1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or 

2. fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or 

3. email: 

This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 

De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y las normas y políticas de derechos civiles del. Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (USDA), esta entidad está prohibida de discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo (incluyendo identidad de género y orientación sexual), discapacidad, edad, o represalia o retorsión por actividades previas de derechos civiles. 

La información sobre el programa puede estar disponible en otros idiomas que no sean el inglés. Las personas con discapacidades que requieren medios alternos de comunicación para obtener la información del programa (por ejemplo, Braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lenguaje de señas americano (ASL), etc.) deben comunicarse con la agencia local o estatal responsable de administrar el programa o con el Centro TARGET del USDA al (202) 720-2600 (voz y TTY) o comuníquese con el USDA a través del Servicio Federal de Retransmisión al (800) 877-8339. 

Para presentar una queja por discriminación en el programa, el reclamante debe llenar un formulario AD-3027, formulario de queja por discriminación en el programa del USDA, el cual puede obtenerse en línea en:, de cualquier oficina de USDA, llamando al (866) 632-9992, o escribiendo una carta dirigida a USDA. La carta debe contener el nombre del demandante, la dirección, el número de teléfono y una descripción escrita de la acción discriminatoria alegada con suficiente detalle para informar al Subsecretario de Derechos Civiles (ASCR) sobre la naturaleza y fecha de una presunta violación de derechos civiles. El formulario AD-3027 completado o la carta debe presentarse a USDA por: 

(1) correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or 

(2) fax: (833) 256-1665 o (202) 690-7442; or 

(3) correo electrónico: 

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.