Food Service Program & Facility Inspections for Pennyrile District

Whether you’re opening a new establishment or have been in business for years, we will conduct random inspections annually or biannually, depending on the facility. This includes establishments such as restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, temporary food concessions, vending machines and more.

Are you opening a new facility? First, you’ll need to submit plans and be approved by your local health environmentalist. Ask questions and gain more understanding of the process by contacting them:

Your Local Health Environmentalists:

Caldwell County

Crittenden County

Livingston County

Lyon County

Trigg County

Public Facility Inspections:

Vending Machines

Vending machines that dispense potentially hazardous foods or drink (sandwiches, milk, etc.) are inspected by the health department to insure cleanliness and proper maintenance.

Read Law

Swimming Areas

Public swimming areas including pools, spas and beaches are inspected by the health department. The health department monitors water quality and safety of each facility. Inspections are conducted at least twice per year.

Read Law Part 1Part 2

Youth Camps

Most youth camps are open seasonally and are inspected upon opening and when necessary during operation. Youth camp inspections focus on safety, sanitation and proper operation of the camp.

Read Law

Hotel – Motel Program

KRS 219.011 Defines a hotel as: “means every building or structure kept, used, maintained, advertised, or held out to the public as a place where sleeping accommodations are furnished to the public, and includes motels, tourist homes, and similar establishments.” Facilities must be permitted and inspected annually. Hotel Fees are based upon the number of rooms.

Read Law

Tanning Facilities

902 KAR 45:075 requires each tanning facility to register with the local health department and pay a fee of $20. People less than 14 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian when using a tanning bed. Written parental/guardian consent for those over 14 but less than 18 years of age is also required. These signed consent forms are to be kept on file in the establishment. The facility must provide a written statement that provides the warnings associated with the use of a tanning device.

Read Law

Confinement Facilities

The Pennyrile District Health Department is required to inspect both the Kentucky State Penitentiary and West Kentucky Correctional Complex on a semi – annual basis every 180 days to assure compliance with current standards.

Read Law

Mobile – Home Recreational Vehicle Parks

Two or more mobile homes on one piece of property available to the general public is considered to be a mobile home park and must comply with Kentucky Regulations. Mobile Home and RV parks are inspected for safety, cleanliness etc. annually.

Read Law Part 1, Part 2


Schools are inspected semi – annually using an inspection form that covers water supplies, sewage disposal, trash disposal, restroom sanitation and health and safety.

Read Law

Tattoo Studios/Tattoo Artists & Body Piercing and Ear Piercing

KRS 211.760 requires any person who engages in the business of tattooing, and or body piercing to register with the local health department. Registration is required for the business and the tattoo artist and/or piercer. A written notarized consent with an official seal and with the signature of a custodial parent or legal guardian shall be obtained for all minors prior to body piercing, ear piercing, or application of a tattoo. Facilities are inspected annually.

Read Law Part 1Part 2

Resources Available to Food Service Facilities:

Remember, we are your partner in building healthy establishments and communities. Below you’ll find free resources to help you keep your patrons safe and healthy while inside your establishment or using your services in any way. You’ll find resources and applications from Farmers’ Markets, to Home Processing, to restaurant establishments.

Kentucky Food Code/FDA Food Code

Farmers’ Market Guidelines

Kentucky Food Manufacturing Program

Certificates for Free Sale or Export

If you’re wanting to sell food products to foreign countries you’ll need to provide the proper certificates. Learn more here.

Home-Based Processing

If you’re wanting to sell food products to foreign countries you’ll need to provide the proper certificates. Learn more here.

Cottage Food Law

If you’re wanting to make food in your home to sell, please understand the law and regulations you must meet.

Read the Law

Food Storage Safety

Safe Handling of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables

Home Kitchen Food Safety

Boil Water Advisory Requirements

Power Outage Food Guidelines

Choking Poster

Vomit and Diarrhea Cleanup Kit

Three Compartment Sink Poster